It’s been a while since I’ve posted a painting update, partly because I haven’t been painting much. A little while ago a cyclist crashed into me (entirely his fault) and I badly broke one finger. Sadly the finger will never work quite as well as before and has to be splinted for a couple of months, which has made many activities quite annoying for me. Happily it was on my off-hand and wasn’t the index finger.
It’s taken me a little while to get used to painting with that annoyance and to generally get back into the habit after a break (hahah).
But I’m very pleased to say I’ve finished painting a model which I started about two years ago and had made a resolution to finish this month; the Drake Gearstrider by Dream Pod 9 (available from Dream Pod 9 if you’re in the New World, or from Shiny Games by request if you’re in the EU).
Hey all. Wayland Games recently put their remaining Heavy Gear stuff on clearance (there was hardly anything left) and it was sufficiently cheap (80% off!) that it was worth me getting it even though they weren’t products I was particularly after.
Here’s the haul. 3x two packs of Support Armigers for Utopia and a two pack of upgrade parts for the old Hun model (which is out of print and I do not own).
I already have 2 Support Armigers for my Utopia force and don’t really need any more, but by duck brother has expressed an interest in collecting Utopia, especially with the new kickstarter coming, so I’ll give 2 of the packs to him most likely. The other pack I’ll probably just use for parts. Maybe even to make some little tanks and drones for a different force or scale.
The custom Hun parts I will also be using just as ‘bits’ to customise stuff. I don’t think they’ll fit the new model Hun, but I might give it a try and see.
I’ve been doing some more painting for my Southern Republican honour guard. Now in the backstory the honour guard was made up of Fer de Lances, Gilas, and the occasional King Cobra. But with the Legion Republique becoming a legitimate military unit prior to the Second War for Terra Nova, they would clearly need to bolster their numbers with other gears. I’ve found mention of the Sidewinder being very popular, probably because of its similarity to the Fer de Lance, but also because it was made during the pilot-safety era of gear construction.
This is something it has in common with the much more recent Diamondback design and I figured my SRA honour guard would be more than happy to field some. The only issue is the Diamondback is a little plain looking, having no ‘ears’ or crests for me to paint white. So I decided to spruce it up a bit with some 3rd party crests!
I’ve been doing some more painting, this time of an old Tactical era King Cobra model I got super, super cheap from well known French gaming site Ludik Bazar. Now the model itself I would consider quite a bit worse than the excellent modern Blitz era metal King Cobra – the key differences are that the pose is very static, the weapons are smaller, there’s a little less detail, the stylised look of the Heavy Gear illustrations aren’t really captured, the shoulder rocket pack is different/worse, the hands are normal sized rather than the massive an iconic manipulators, the artillery rocket system is missing entirely, and there are no ears at all!
Still for the price they were a bargain and with some modifications (modded artillery rockets, newer mortar, modified cut down rotary cannon, a pair of old tac era knife blades stuck on as ears and a few other minor changes) I think the model ended up looking pretty good.
Here he is without his weapons (both hands are magnetised). Click on for plenty more pics.
Hello! Since Bacon’s been posting some 6mm Epic stuff I thought I’d join in and show off some of the conversion work I’ve done. There are tons of old plastic Rhinos available cheaply on eBay, but some of the other Space Marine vehicles are harder to find – particularly the Vindicator, which I don’t think ever had a plastic model. Since most of them are heavily based on the Rhino chassis I thought that would be a nice conversion project. By filing off the doors on the front and top I made space for the various types of turret/gun, which I either build from plasticard or modelled using a mould from one of the official models.